Mainframe computers are second largest just after the supper computers. Actually it was developed as an alternative to suppercomputers which are the largest and most expensive computers to buy.
When supper computers are referred to as giants, mainframe computers will be termed as big.
They are used in manipulation of both scientific problems and complex arithmetic calculations found in big organisations, companies and government agencies such as airports, banks and hospitals which have the need for processing bulk data, in time.
- Has large memory storage capacities hence it can hold alot of data and perform processing of data efficiently.
- Can support a variety of peripheral devices.
- Less powerful than supper computer.
- Less expensive than supper computer.
- Process complex mathematical calculations.