The explorer window is a basic window in which one can create, save, retrieve & manipulate contents from easily and fast.
Windows explorer is actually used to display drives, folders, and files in a hierarchy form. It divides the window into two panes; the left pane contains storage locations (drives) while the right displays a list of files and subfolders contained in the selected location.
To display this window:
- Click on start button.
- Point/ click on programs to display all programs list.
- Click on accessories then on the sub menu click on Windows explorer.
If you observe keenly you will notice that some items have a small triangle on their left, it shows that that particular drive/ folder contains other lower level items. Alternatively you could also click on Windows explorer icon from the task bar.
Also read: a synopsis on the history of computers
Computer icon like explorer window also displays storage locations and there content. To open it; you can either double click on computer icon from the desktop or click the computer option from start menu.
- Double click on computer icon
- Double click on drive/ folder to display contents
- Start manipulating the contacts
Creating a new folder.
- Using computer icon, display the explorer window.
- On the left pane select (click on location) the location in which you want to create a new folder.
- On the file menu point to new, move mouse pointer horizontally straight then click on folder. A folder with a temporal name New folder appears.
- Type a new name for the folder then enter key from the keyboard or click the icon or in ‘space’.
- To create a subfolder, follow above procedures but select a folder as location. Watch video here
To open a folder.
- Display explorer window.
- From location pane, click the triangle beside a drive/folder in which the folder you want to open is in.
- Select the folder (click on it) and its contents will be displayed in the right pane.
Creating a new file
You could create different types of files depending on programs you have installed/ copied on your hard disk. To create a new word document proceed as follows:
- Display explorer window
- Select location in which you want to create a new file.
- Click on file menu then point on new.
- Select Microsoft word document from the sidekick menu.
- Type a new name to replace the temporal one then press enter key. Watch video
In Windows file names can contain up to255 character including spaces except symbols e.g. * ÷;: /,.