Speed capacities and instructions sets have also been illustrated in summary of a tale.
The CPU components use electrical pathways referred to as busses to communicate. The three types of busses include
- data bus – does the actual data transfer,
- control bus –is the pathway for timing and controlling functions sent by the control unit to other part of the system,
- address bus – used to locate the storage location in memory where the next instruction data to be processed is held.
The processing of data is done in a cycle form.
From the input to the memory then to the control unit which cordinates how the input is to be executed, the result is sent back to the memory as information.
Types of processors.
CPU contains a program known as instruction set, therefore using this program processors can be categorised into two.
Also read:how computers came to existence
1. Reduced instruction set Computers (RISC)
this CPU do have fewer instruction sets; its main manufactures are Sun Microsystems.
2. Complex instruction set computers (RISC)
unlike RISC, these ones do have large number of complex instructions set; its main manufactures are Intel.
Microprocessors have with time advanced in size, performance, cost and speed.
Also read: categories of keys on computer keyboard
The parameter used to measure performance of the CPU is the clock speed whose measurement unit is Hertz.
It measures the number of cycles per second in a signal. It can be in Kilohertz, megahertz or gigahertz.